Sunday, April 6, 2008

riding to work

today i finally was able to ride my bike to work. i felt like i was in elementary school again. i packed my bag the night before, donned my helmet (i don't think we had those things when i was in elementary school), turned on my lights, all 4 of them - 2 in front, 2 in back, and out the door i went. now one might say that 4 lights might be a little much, but i was going to be seen. needless to say, despite my candlepower, some moron in an SUV almost didn't see me. anyway i get off of the streets and onto the bike-highway, aka the lakefront path. no traffic today for my commute. now granted i left my house just after 6. the path was peaceful. over lake michigan the sun was rising. a picture perfect orange hue glowing over the far side of the lake. a couple people were out taking pictures, some running, i think one walking home from last night... about 3/4 of the way i was able to turn off my front lights. i got to work and took the best parking spot, (well for a bike at least), right outside the front door. it definitely made work more relaxing and calming today.

on the way home the ride was just as nice, this time with the wind at my back and the path scattered with chicago's finest. today i met "i'm important so i will run down the center line", "i'm going to wait for oncoming traffic before i decide to turn my child in her stroller across the path". i'm thinking of trying to find a way to jury-rig my camera to my handlebar to capture some of the mayhem, i'll work on that for some other time.

training
today was a recovery day. i'll count my ride to work as something. more mileage tomorrow.

cubs win

No comments: