Friday, September 11, 2009

returning to the start line

So it is with great excitement and trepidation that I get ready for the start of this years ironman. I remember the peace and serenity of the minutes before the race started last year. despite the crowd yelling from the shore, the music blaring over the loudspeakers, and the people splashing in the water there was a complete peacefulness that existed in the water. Floating in the water, lying on my back, looking up at the sky, just relaxing and soaking in the entire experience. It is quite bizarre that in a mass of people fuelled with energy both physical and emotional that I could be so relaxed. Of all of the parts of the ironman that I have been looking forward to repeating for the past year the start is definitely one of the few incredible moments in my mind. I can envision the walk down the helix, walking through the masses of people, then wading into the water to sit and relax while awaiting the blast of the cannon and the rapid change of the calm water into a massive collection of flailing arms and legs churning the water as the race starts.

My memories of the swim are one giant blur. I remember looking off my right shoulder and seeing the thousands of spectators hanging over the edges of Monona terrace, sitting on the edge of the shore, and looking out the windows. Despite being in the churning water you can feel the energy from the shore. After a quick swim, out of the water, wetsuit stripped off, and the run up the helix.

What a brilliant race design, the helix in itself is really intimitading. Just think, having to run up the equivalent of 4 stories after just finishing a 2.4 mile swim. But the turns move quickly with the hundreds of spectators cheering you on.

There are a couple of thoughts that stick out in my head from the 112 mile bike ride from last year. the first was my excitement as I hit the first hill after turing off of paoli. I was smiling and said, alright hills…bring it. And with that, the race began. Little did I know that 40 miles later I would be cursing those same hills…but that is experience. I loved climbing the hills near old sauk pass. It is so much fun with people cheering you on and banging drums. Despite being in a lot of discomfort for the last 30 miles of the ride, I still remember somewhere around mile 100 some people holding a sign indicating that I would be “saved”…um yea, right….

Things that I will try to remember this year are the following: don’t try to go fast the first loop and you will pay for it on the second loop…but don’t go too slow…or you will be paying for it for the rest of the day. More sitting the first loop on the hills, the second loop then perhaps think about getting out of the saddle and going. Don’t carry around the empty bottles or extra bottles of Gatorade just in case…it is just extra weight that I have to get up the damn hills.

Also…don’t sit around in transition, just keep moving

The run, well, I remember how excited I was at mile 20 of the run last year. I knew that I was just 6.2 miles away from finishing…a walk in the park really. I also loved giving the volunteer at the turn around a high five. I am going to make sure that I do that again this year. that was awesome. I am going to try to run more, walk less, keep my head up, soak in every minute, and get to the finish line with nothing left.

And of course the finish line… how could you ever forget the finish line. The sun had just set, the lights were on, the crowd was cheering, and it was just me, all alone, running down the finish chute, arms above my head. YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

Let’s do it again.

No comments: